Soul-utions is a carefully crafted worship experience designed to help you on your spiritual journey. We are a group of people who are seeking God's plan for how to live our lives. You are welcome to join us on Sunday mornings at 11:00 AM at Morrison United Methodist Church in Leesburg, Florida. Come on in, grab some breakfast, and experience the love of Christ.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

If we don't take care of ourselves, we won't be capable of taking care of others. It's as simple as that. So why do we go on and on and give and give until we're emotionally and physically exhausted?
by Beverly Smallwood, Ph.D.
Have you ever asked yourself that question?  I have!  I know in my head that I need to take care of myself in order to care for others.  I’m even reminded of this every time I ride in an airplane and hear the instructions given before each flight.  If the overhead compartment should open and the oxygen masks come out, I am to place mine on first before assisting others.  This seems to make sense when I hear the airline attendant say it.  So why is it such a hard concept to practice in my everyday life?
As a Christian I have heard it stated and restated numerous times that I should stop thinking of myself and put the needs of others first.  The message of self-sacrifice and service comes across loud and clear.  However, I don't believe that this message is a complete interpretation of the scriptures.
Yes, self-centeredness is at the core of our sinfulness.  We are to deny ourselves and sacrificially give to God and others, but I believe that we confuse unselfishness with stewardship.   The Bible actually teaches the value of our needs, which are God-given and are intended to propel us to growth and to God.  Neglecting our needs leads to spiritual and emotional problems; meeting our needs frees us to meet the needs of others cheerfully and without resentment.
What do you think?


I’ll be praying for you ….Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment